Friday, June 12, 2009

IML 2009 - Now what?

Good Morning Everyone,

It has now been two weeks and five days since I was named International Mr. Leather 2009. The morning after the competition I woke up at the exact same time as my husband (David) and we looked at each other and said, "Now what?"

So to that end, this is what has been going on. In that time, I was sick with the IML flu (yes, we named it because so many of us got sick) and then I've been fighting with my allergies. But on a positive note: I've met some of the most wonderful people in the world; my calendar went from one trip to Key West to over 40 trips throughout the next year including Berlin, Seattle, Sydney, Portland, San Francisco, Houston and more. My friends comment on how they can "Google" my name and I actually pop up rather than some doctor in Conn. that used to come up before. I'm on You-Tube (ass and all . . .). I've had more people ask for my Addiction cake recipe than ever before (but I've only given it to one person so far . . . I usually don't share it) and I am leaving my job so I will have the time to do those things I want to do during my title year (and beyond).
So what does all of this mean? It means I have one hell of a year ahead of me. I am working to set up my charity (more on that in a later post), helping to promote our community, meeting as many men and women that I can and helping local communities promote the causes that are important to them. DFW Airport and I will be best friends over the next 52 weeks!

David and I went to the store and bought an I-Phone for me so I could Blog, Facebook, IM, email, etc. from my phone more easily while on the road. That was a step in the right direction. I'm also working with a Marketing Manager to have my website, email, calendar, charity, appointments, etc. set up in an orderly fashion. (I know I have responded to some emails more than once because I couldn't remember if I had responded to them yet or not.)

On a final note: Someone commented to me yesterday they didn't understand why I was doing all of this as IML. They thought the only thing that was required of me was to show up next year to hand the title off (and judge the competition) and not to do anything to discredit the IML name. That may be so, but that is not how I envisioned my title year when I ran for IML nor is it how I envision the years to follow.

I have 53 new IML brothers that I competed with over Memorial Weekend and I want to support them and their local community as much as I possible can. I want my IML title year to be about them and their local community. That translates to my title year being about our entire community because our entire community is made up by the local communities.

My title year is less about me and more about them.
As Always, Jeffrey

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog. I couldn't agree with you more on the support your giving the leather community by travelling to as many places as you can. They found a true leader in Jeffrey Payne!!

    ReplyDelete